Scroll through the slides for a portfolio of images from my workshop engagements.
I have had the opportunity to collaborate on a series of workshops with a number of Arctic stakeholders: with Alaska Iñupiat communities via the NASP project, and with marine mobile sectors for the SALIENSEAS project. I enjoy the process of planning, convening and moderating workshops and engaging in collective thinking for mutual learning.
Workshops can be an especially useful platform for deliberation, collaboration and information sharing, as well they can produce practical outcomes. The process of engagement I find optimal in most contexts consists of:
- isolating a clear focal question in advance to drive activities
- meticulously designing workshop activities that are relevant, engaging and will produce focused outcomes
- inviting participants who will balance the right expertise with vested stakes in the process
- pre-event briefing of participants about expectations and scheduled activities
- providing relevant background information to the focal question at the event
- putting participants in the spotlight (minimizing presentations, maximizing engagement)
- expert facilitation
- reporting back to participants via summary reports and/or public presentations